Translate

Saturday, May 24, 2014

This I Believe Essay by Brandy Moore

This I Believe is an international organization engaging people in writing and sharing essays describing the core values that guide their daily lives. Over 125,000 of these essays, written by people from all walks of life, are archived here on our website, heard on public radio, chronicled through our books, and featured in weekly podcasts. The project is based on the popular 1950s radio series of the same name hosted by Edward R. Murrow. Visit the website at thisibelieve.org

Mrs. Flynn's classes recently wrote their own This I Believe essays. Here is a taste of why a student thinks respect will help "you later in life."

                 Just A Little Respect         

         Brandy Moore
                                   5/13/2014                           
            I believe in showing respect to those in authority over me and to those I encounter in my life. What is respect? How do we learn to respect others and how do we earn respect? This is the question that these young children ponder today. I had to learn it just like you. One example would be that when I was young my Aunt or Uncle would call my name. I usually replied saying, “What?” or “Yes?” They always reprimanded me for not saying “Yes ma’am?” or “Yes sir?” Having respect for others will not only honor them but will also help you later in life.                                                   
     Other examples of showing respect would be when people show kind gestures such as opening a door for you, be sure to thank them. If someone pays you a compliment, be sure to thank them. If you are a visitor in someone’s home, abide by their rules. I guess you could say that one definition of respect is to esteem others greater than yourself, being kind and thoughtful to all people. There once was a song written that said R-E-S-P-E-C-T, find out what it means to me, R-E-S-P-E-C-T, take care of TCB. So respect means looking out for other people.    
      When children are not taught proper respect by those in authority over them, they will not have as many opportunities opened up to them. We all want to be respected; you must exemplify respect in order to earn respect. It is rewarding to have respect for others and those in authority over you, which includes all adults. If children have not been taught how to give proper respect, they are missing out on one of the valuable lessons of life.

     So listen up, if someone is giving you constructive correction in your life, consider this valuable.

No comments:

Post a Comment